These festive cupcakes have a fluffy and tender pistachio cupcake base and are topped with a creamy vegan cream cheese frosting styled to lift the spirits of your favorite grouch. Easily made gluten-free as well!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 12
● 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
● 1/2 cup ground pistachios
● 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
● 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
● 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
● 1 pinch sea salt
● 1 cup Forager Project Probiotic Drinkable Cashewmilk Yogurt Unsweetened Plain, room temperature
● 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
● 1 cup organic granulated sugar
● 2 tablespoons Forager Project Sour Cream
● 1 teaspoon vegan green food coloring
● 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
● ½ teaspoon almond extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
● ½ cup vegan butter, room temperature
● ½ cup vegan cream cheese, room temperature
● 4 cups organic powdered sugar
● 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
● 1 tablespoon vegan green food coloring
● ¼ teaspoon vegan yellow food coloring
● ¼ teaspoon vegan red food coloring
● ¼ teaspoon vegan black food coloring
Line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners, and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Measure out all ingredients, and set aside.
Whisk together the flour, ground pistachios, arrowroot starch, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the Forager Project Probiotic Drinkable Cashewmilk Yogurt Unsweetened Plain, vegan butter, sugar, Forager Project Sour Cream, vanilla extract, vegan green food coloring, and almond extract.
Add in the dry ingredients, and gently whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
Scoop the cupcake batter into each cupcake liner, filling each cupcake about ¾ of the way full.
Bake the cupcakes for 25-27 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the cupcake tin for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Once the cupcakes are cool, make the frosting. Cream together the vegan butter and vegan cream cheese in a large bowl using a hand mixer or in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
Add in the powdered sugar in 1 cup increments while mixing together. Then add in the arrowroot starch to help set the cream cheese frosting. Continue creaming together until completely mixed and fluffy.
Remove ¼ cup of frosting in a separate bowl for the eyes, ¼ cup of frosting in a separate bowl for the hearts, and ¼ cup of frosting in a separate bowl for the eyebrows and facial details. Add the vegan green food coloring to the remaining frosting in the main mixing bowl, and cream together until the frosting is completely green.
In the smaller separate bowls, mix in the vegan yellow food coloring, vegan red food coloring, and vegan black food coloring into their respective bowls.
Attach a large round piping tip to a piping bag. Fill the piping bag with the green cream cheese frosting, and pipe a dollop of frosting onto each cupcake to represent the base of the Grouch.
Fill 3 piping bags, each with their own color: either yellow, red, or black. Snip the end of the piping bag to begin to pipe. Using the yellow frosting, pipe two eyes onto each cupcake. Pipe two pupils and a heart onto each cupcake using the red frosting. Then using the black frosting, pipe the details of the eyelashes and mouth onto each cupcake.
Serve and enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Gluten-free: Swap in your favorite gluten-free 1:1 baking flour that contains xanthan gum.