Nothing says fall better than apples and cinnamon, unless, they’re topped with a healthy drizzle of vegan caramel. This moist and deliciously spiced cake will leave everyone at the table grateful for harvest time and declaring there really is more to life than chocolate.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 16
2 cups chopped apples, skin peeled
300 mL Forager Project Organic Oatmilk, room temperature
2 tsp apple cider vinegar (to be mixed with Forager Project Organic Oatmilk)
440 grams cake flour or gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour, sifted (do NOT skip- add in 1 tsp arrowroot powder if using gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour, see Note)
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
200 grams granulated sugar or coconut sugar
113 grams vegan butter, room temperature
125 grams unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
63 grams Unsweetened Cashewmilk Yogurt, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups vegan butter, room temperature
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2-4 tbsp Forager Project Organic Oatmilk
¼ cup batch vegan caramel sauce
*Please read through all instructions before beginning.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease three 8″ or 6: cake pans with olive or coconut oil. Line with parchment paper on the bottom for easy removal. Add apple cider vinegar to Unsweetened Oatmilk and set aside. Make sure that the apple peel is removed and the apples are chopped.
- Make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment or large bowl and hand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the applesauce, Cashewmilk Yogurt, and vanilla extract, and mix on medium speed until combined. Then add in the flour in two increments, along with the vegan butter, mixing on medium speed in between, just until the flour is almost combined.
- Fold in the apples: Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and fold in the apple pieces using a rubber spatula.
- Bake: Divide the batter evenly into the cake pans. Place cake pans into the oven and bake for 27-30 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a drying rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the vegan cinnamon buttercream frosting: When ready to frost the cakes, add vegan butter to a stand mixer or large bowl and cream together with a hand mixer. Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, continuing the beat the mixture until it’s a thick buttercream.
- Add in cinnamon and 2-4 tablespoons of Oatmilk and continue to beat until desired texture.
- To assemble the cake, place the first cake layer onto a cake board or plate and add about 3/4 cup of frosting to the cake. Spread until the frosting reaches the edges, then drizzle caramel sauce on top.
- Place the second layer on top and repeat.
- Place the third layer on top and continue to frost the cake entirely. Place the cake into the fridge to chill for 20 minutes so that the frosting can set. When ready to serve, top with apples and the remaining caramel sauce and serve!
Gluten-free flour: Please make sure that you’re definitely adding in the arrowroot starch or cornstarch to the flour before beginning. This will take away the grittiness that’s sometimes found when baking with gluten-free flour, and will help create a fluffier texture in the cake.